The past two weeks have been demanding. You have spent the last weekend in the office completing some reports .You have been coming home late for the past five days . You can hardly remember the last time you listened to soothing music or spent some time alone just watching your favourite TV series. Lately, you have been experiencing some headaches and you are becoming more impatient and irritable. Little by little, you can feel the stress draining you.
The demands of modern life can eventually take its toll on most people. A rigorous working environment and the continued drive to excel may affect our relationships, our physical health and mental wellbeing. Although we may not be able to break away totally from our work and family commitments, we can certainly achieve a more harmonious life by simply taking time to enjoy a few moments of solitude.
Quality time alone refreshes the individual’s mental and physical wellbeing of an individual. We can achieve this by taking time out from our daily routines and engaging in activities that appeal and nourish us mentally. Solitude need not mean that we need to spend huge amounts of money for a quiet and relaxing getaway. Enjoying one’s solitude can easily take place in a quiet indoor location such as the home balcony or outdoors in a park/beach or around the estate. Or we could practise relaxation techniques and engage in physical activities such as brisk walking, jogging, or cycling.
Clearing mental clutter
Mental clutter occurs when the mind is overwhelmed with thoughts on things to do or persistent worries. When the mind is cluttered, the mental tension that builds up can affect our decision making processes, which may then reduce work productivity and cause misunderstandings in relationships.
Time alone helps bring about clearer thought processes and it is during solitude that we are more focused. Clearing mental clutter allows you to view things objectively and reduce unnecessary distractions.
Seeking inner peace
Practising solitude enables us to attune ourselves to more tranquil and relaxing thoughts and feelings, and brings about inner peace. A sense of peace makes us more aware of our inner longings and real goals, and helps to redirect our energies towards creativity and productivity.
Time alone allows you to focus on your own needs and reflect on your life. It allows you to think about how you would like to be the person you want to be, and the way you wish to set future goals and aspirations. By taking a step back from the structured systems at work and finding your own space, you are better able to rethink past goals or set new ones.
Time alone, in essence, brings experiences of tranquility and joy – it can help you rediscover the true meaning and value of your life.
Below are a few questions to help you in your journey of self-discovery and goal setting during your time of solitude:
- What do you want to do when there is nobody to impress, no approval to gain, no work to be done and no schedules to be followed?
- What are the most important elements in your life right now that you want to nurture and develop?
- What are the things that make you feel good and proud about yourself?
- How do you envision yourself five or ten years from now?
- Time spent alone is beneficial as it refreshes the physical and mental aspects of the individual.
- During solitude, we engage thoughts or activities that appeal to our inner-selves.
- Solitary physical activity like cycling and jogging are good ways of clearing mental clutter and reducing mental stress.
- Which of the following is not a benefit of spending quality time alone?
- Allows us to indulge in things we cannot usually do in public.
- Refreshes the physical and mental aspects of an individual’s being.
- Allows the individual to withdraw from regular outside pressures, while focusing on his/her own goals and aspirations.
- Why is it important to make our own time and space?
- To sek inner-peace when expectations and demands leave us feeling overwhelmed or burdened.
- It ensures that no one can see us and disturb us.
- So that no one knows we are troubled and stressed.
- What self-discovery benefit is achieved during alone time?
- Time alone allows you to focus on your own needs.
- It allows you to think about how you can be the person you want to be and the way you wish to set future goals and aspirations.
- By taking a step back from daily routines and finding your own space, you are better able to rethink past goals or set new ones.
- All of the above.