To keep the love alive and strong in a marriage, both husband and wife need to be committed and put in effort to make it work. In the course of marriage, couples may drift apart due to different expectations, increasing financial commitments, or communication problems.Below are some tips you can work on to build a strong marriage:
Be honest and open
Being honest and open in two-way communication fosters trust, a key element in any relationship. By sharing thoughts and feelings openly in a marriage, you would learn more about each other and deepen the relationship. Also take an active approach to listen to each other and avoid being judgemental or jumping to conclusions during communication.
Accept and respect
Accept your partner as he/she is and do not desire that he/she change to meet all your expectations. Learn to appreciate and value the strengths of your spouse and accept the idiosyncrasies that make him/her unique. Regularly remind yourself of the positive reasons for marrying your spouse and respect him/her for the role he/she is playing in your life.
Spend time alone as a couple
Quality time alone is vital in nurturing a couple’s relationship. It is crucial that time alone is engaged in common interests or things you enjoyed doing during your dating years. Find a conducive environment and use this time alone to communicate without distractions.
Spend time together as a family
Dedicate time as a family unit by doing things together. For example, spend the weekend at the beach, take family strolls at the park, or simply engage in conversation during meal times. Time together is important as it involves interaction among you, your spouse, and your kids. During such time together, you would be able to observe and understand each other’s interaction style, as well as likes and dislikes.
Set common goals as a family
Setting common goals and motivating each other as you work towards your goals will help strengthen the marriage and maintain the sparks in the relationship. Having the same dreams for the family would also motivate you during difficult times. Encouragement and support in times of trials will help keep you focused on what is truly important – each other and the family.
- Which of the reasons below is not a cause of a couple drifting apart?
- Communication breakdown.
- Differences of opinions over finances.
- Spending time together.
- Name three ways to maintain the sparks in a marriage.
- Honesty and openness, Mutual respect and regard, Spending time alone as a couple.
- Spending time alone as a couple, Trust and courtesy, Wariness and suspicion.
- Distrust and disrespect, Long periods apart, Selfishness and guarding personal interests.
- Why is it important for couples to spend quality time alone?
- Quality time away from distractions contributes to truthful communication which leads to love, bonding, and intimacy.
- So they can know each other’s likes and dislikes.
- So they can take a break from the kids.
- All of the above.