Being contented with life and what you have has many advantages. You get to enjoy happiness in the present moment and you feel safe and satisfied with life. You also exude happiness and positive energy when you come in contact with others.
Being contented is not the same as being laidback or indifferent. You are indifferent when you have no particular interest or concern with life. However, with contentment, you are able to accept existing situations and not let challenges get you down. It is a state of mind and a way of looking at the world in a positive manner.
Tips to contentment
Here are some tips you can remember to be contented:
- Learn to accept what you have – Do not delay contentment by aiming to be satisfied only if you have achieved certain targets in the future. You would deprive yourself of the opportunity to appreciate the present moment. Appreciate the people and things you already have in your life and be thankful for them.
- Remember that material items are not a measure of who you are – Learn to live within your means and do not aspire to be happy only after you have secured more possessions or achieve social status. Do not try to live up to unrealistic societal expectations or succumb to peer pressure.
- Selfish people are unhappy people – Learn to think of others and help those in need. The world does not revolve around you alone. When you stop focusing on yourself but on those who are in need, you will begin to realise how good your life really is.
- Accept differences and disappointments as part and parcel of life – Have realistic expectations of situations and others. When things do not happen according to your plan, do not be frustrated or feel helpless but deal with them positively and move on.
- Manage your stress effectively (Click here) – Effective stress management helps to relax your mind and body, and allows you to look at things more objectively without your negative emotions or frustrations getting in the way.
When you are contented, you would be happy and satisfied with your personal and work life. In the face of difficult challenges, you are able to assess situations objectively and positively, and be more focused and proactive to address challenges.
Remember that you cannot have everything you want in life. Learn to accept and appreciate the things you already have while working towards your goals. Being contented means being happy at the present moment while staying focused on your dreams for the future.